Child Custody and Visitation


If parents of a child or children are not married, matters regarding paternity, custody, child support, and parenting time arise that differ from those when the parents are married.  In Georgia, when a child is born out of wedlock the father has no legal rights to a child unless he initiates a legitimation action.  For a father to obtain custodial rights or visitation, and to give the child the ability to inherit from a father, and the child to inherit from a father, he must take specific legal steps.  A mother’s recourse to establish child support is to file an action to determine paternity of the child. Once paternity is established, the father will have all of the legal duties and obligations to a child as if he or she were born in wedlock, including child support and other duties and oblicgations.